Functionality like "yum whatprovides" in MacPorts?

Jon Hermansen jon.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 23:26:49 PDT 2010

Hello all,
 I'm trying to find out what package includes the executable 'md5sum' but
have (as of yet) been unable to find it. YUM provides a "whatprovides"
function where I can provide a path (with wildcards, eg "*/md5sum" and it
will return the binary package that contains it. Does MacPorts retain some
function that tracks installed files, and does it also provide functionality
to search typically installed binaries? I realize that variants may vary a
package's installed binaries, and as such, MacPorts may be unable to
reliably provide this information, but I thought it was worth asking.

Alternatively, does anyone know what incantation I can execute to install
'md5sum' on my system? I thought it might belong to coreutils but I still
don't have it...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely,

JH

--
Jon Hermansen
jon.hermansen at gmail.com