Error installing WINE via macports 1.9.1

chrissam bedpotato at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:01:54 PDT 2010

I hope someone can shed light on this problem. I'm trying to install WINE on
my mac so I followed the instructions here:
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/. Basically, the steps are: 1.
install xcode, 2. install macports, 3. install wine.

Here are the specifics:
MAC OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
Xcode 3.1.4 (for Leopard)
MacPorts 1.9.1-10.5.dmg (also for Leopard)

So after installing xcode and macports successfully, I went through the
copy/pasting of the shell commands. MacPorts started installing and
everything looked fine for a while, and then I hit this error:

--->  Attempting to fetch wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab from
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/wine
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for wine-devel
--->  Extracting wine-devel
--->  Configuring wine-devel
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell
command failed
Log for wine-devel is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_wine-devel/main.log

And now I am stumped. I read in other threads that it's a worth a shot to
upgrade the Xcode, but is there a version of Xcode higher than 3.1.4 that
runs on Leopard?

Thanks in advance for the trouble. :)