selfupdate error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 28 07:07:53 PDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 13:03, tome at QX.Net wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:54, tome at QX.Net wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to run 'sudo port -d selfupdate' on a powerpc (pismo) running OS X 10.4.11 and encountering the following error messages captured from stderr:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> [from attached logfile:]
>>
>>> /bin/sh: line 3: make: command not found
>>
>> Does "make" exist in /usr/bin? Do you have Xcode installed? If you don't, install Xcode 2.5. If you do, reinstall Xcode 2.5 :) making sure not to deselect
>> the command-line development option.
>
> Thanks!  I do not know why things are the way they are, but a 'which make' revealed '/opt/local/bin/make', which points to gmake in the same
> location.  There was nothing in /usr/bin, so I created a link to '/opt/local/bin/make', and selfupdate ran fine.  There are too many moving parts to this
> computer stuff, but sadly, all of them seem to be mine!

That's probably not a good idea. You should remove the /usr/bin/make symlink you just created, and instead, install Xcode properly, as I showed above.

You should also not have a file /opt/local/bin/make; you should only have /opt/local/bin/gmake, as provided by the gmake port. Do you have any idea why you have a file /opt/local/bin/make? What does "port provides /opt/local/bin/make" say? If it says it is not provided by a MacPorts port, delete it as well.

Using a version of make for MacPorts that is not the version provided by Xcode will likely cause you problems with some ports in the future, so it's best to clean this up now.