Error installing WINE via macports 1.9.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 28 09:14:40 PDT 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 10:27, Dominik Reichardt wrote:

> Am 28.07.2010 um 02:01 schrieb chrissam:
>
>> I hope someone can shed light on this problem. I'm trying to install WINE on
>> my mac so I followed the instructions here:
>> http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/. Basically, the steps are: 1.
>> install xcode, 2. install macports, 3. install wine.
>
> Just for your information, Wine just recently released a new version, so if you want the most recent version of Wine you should
> sudo port install wine.

That's true at this precise moment. But thus far, the wine developers have typically released a new development version of wine every two weeks or so.

> And then if you want to keep up to date keep an eye on the wine-devel port, when it passes 1.2 (maybe 1.3) it may become interesting though for a while the main version should be much safer.

If their trend continues, I expect wine-devel to be updated to version 1.3.0 within a few days. If you want to track these new developments, stick with wine-devel. If you want to stay with the stable version of wine, use the wine port to get version 1.2, but note that the last stable version of wine before 1.2 was 1.0.1 which was two years old. A ****lot**** happens in wine development in that period of time. If you're feeling adventurous, and would like to receive bug fixes and enhancements sooner rather than waiting years, at the expense of possibly encountering new bugs for awhile until they're fixed, then use wine-devel.