Recompiling a macport (hopefully a simple question)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 28 23:34:16 PDT 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 19:08, Brooks Swinnerton wrote:

> I have what I hope to be a simple question. I'm trying to install dsniff-devel on my 10.6 box. The problem is that in order to have dsniff use the correct interface, you must manually change a C file called arp.c. I've found the file in: /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_net_dsniff/work/dsniff-2.3/
>
> My question is this, I've edited that file, but now how to I recompile the port, using that file?

I believe Scott answered your specific question, but I'll return another question to you: when you say "correct interface", are we talking about like an Ethernet interface? If so, what is the default, and what did you want instead? End users are not expected to need to change a port's source files in order to use the software successfully; if editing this file is a necessity for this software to work, we should be offering variants in the port that automatically edit that file in appropriate ways. Perhaps you could help us identify what those appropriate ways are so that we can craft the variants to match.