selfupdate error

tome at QX.Net tome at QX.Net
Thu Jul 29 07:51:51 PDT 2010

Reinstalled Xcode 2.5.  Doing this allowed some light to filter thru the gray matter, so here is what I have now and and a somewhat blurred account of
what happened, with one possibly off subject question:

Before MacPorts I wanted ffmpeg, so I downloaded a zip file and started learning the configure/make process.  Questions about errors lead to the
suggestions that I update Xcode from 2.0 to 2.5, which I think lead to the enlightenment that ffmpeg could only be compiled with 'make 3.81'.  Since
Xcode 2.5 has 'make 3.80', I continued my learning process by downloading GNU Make 3.81 source package and did configure/make which by default
put the gmake in /usr/local/bin.  Out smarting my self I created a link in /usr/bin to my new gmake.  A few option/variant solutions later I had my
ffmpeg skeleton (few included libs).  Having learned so much I immediately wanted a full blown version of ffmpeg, so I went about learning how I could
get one without all the headaches of the basic installation, and came across MacPorts.  A few headaches later I had a Macports version of ffmpeg, with
the /opt/local/bin search at the beginning of my path.  Please with myself I merrily went on my way.  PROBABLY, somewhere alone the way to self
adulation, I needed something to see a 'make' somewhere and created the make -> gmake link in /opt/local/bin.  As it stands now I have /usr/bin/
make -> /usr/bin/gnumake, which is 3.80.  I also have /opt/local/bin/gmake, which is 3.81.  When I do 'which make' I see /usr/bin/make.  I assume
that MacPorts knows to look in /opt/local/bin for what it wants.  I hope this is the way it should be.

My question:  The only reason that I have Xcode is to have a compiler for my hobbyist level C utilities, AND to meet the MacPorts requirement.  From
my hobbyist viewpoint, I do not need the 1.5Gig of development stuff under the /Developer directory.  I could really use the space.  Can I delete the
/Developer directory and still have MacPorts work?