selfupdate error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 29 10:38:55 PDT 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 09:51, tome at QX.Net wrote:

> Before MacPorts I wanted ffmpeg, so I downloaded a zip file and started learning the configure/make process.  Questions about errors lead to the suggestions that I update Xcode from 2.0 to 2.5, which I think lead to the enlightenment that ffmpeg could only be compiled with 'make 3.81'.  Since Xcode 2.5 has 'make 3.80', I continued my learning process by downloading GNU Make 3.81 source package and did configure/make which by default put the gmake in /usr/local/bin.  Out smarting my self I created a link in /usr/bin to my new gmake.  A few option/variant solutions later I had my ffmpeg skeleton (few included libs).  Having learned so much I immediately wanted a full blown version of ffmpeg, so I went about learning how I could get one without all the headaches of the basic installation, and came across MacPorts.  A few headaches later I had a Macports version of ffmpeg, with the /opt/local/bin search at the beginning of my path.  Please with myself I merrily went on my way.  PROBABLY, somewhere alone the way to self adulation, I needed something to see a 'make' somewhere and created the make -> gmake link in /opt/local/bin.  As it stands now I have /usr/bin/make -> /usr/bin/gnumake, which is 3.80.  I also have /opt/local/bin/gmake, which is 3.81.  When I do 'which make' I see /usr/bin/make.  I assume that MacPorts knows to look in /opt/local/bin for what it wants.  I hope this is the way it should be.

Understood. Sounds like you got it all sorted out now. Glad you made it to MacPorts! Hopefully it will be able to ease your software installation tasks a bit vs. doing things manually. Certainly it will be easier to clean up later if that's ever desired.

> My question:  The only reason that I have Xcode is to have a compiler for my hobbyist level C utilities, AND to meet the MacPorts requirement.  From my hobbyist viewpoint, I do not need the 1.5Gig of development stuff under the /Developer directory.  I could really use the space.  Can I delete the /Developer directory and still have MacPorts work?

That's untested; things might break. Certainly, deleting /Developer/SDKs is not a good idea. Don't know how much of the rest of it is required.