has port install syntax recently changed?

Lucas Vickers lucasvickers at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 08:38:48 PDT 2010

Hello,

I have used macports on this machine to install boost, and I am not
attempting to install mysqlxx.
I appear to be forced to use variants, and am having some trouble with
the syntax.  I have looked online and I am still confused.
----------------------
Some examples:

$ sudo port install boost
Error: Unable to execute port: wrong # args: should be "check_variants
variations target"
Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag
to get complete output.
$ sudo port install boost +universal
= SAME ERROR
$ sudo port install mysqlxx
= SAME ERROR
$ sudo port install mysqlxx +mysql5
= SAME ERROR

----------------------
And then oddly enough:

$ sudo port selfupdate
= FINE
$ sudo port upgrade outdated
wrong # args: should be "macports::upgrade portname dspec
variationslist optionslist ?depscachename?"
..... FULL ERROR BELOW

The failed selfupdate leads me to believe something is going on that
is causing all these issues.
If anyone can help would be greatly appreciated.

I am OS X 10.6.3
port 1.8.99
macports was installed while I was 10.6.2, I have since upgrades to 10.6.3

Lucas

----------------------
FULL OUTPUT:
$ sudo port upgrade outdated
wrong # args: should be "macports::upgrade portname dspec
variationslist optionslist ?depscachename?"
    while executing
"macports::upgrade $portname "port:$portname" $global_variations_list
$variations_list [array get options] depscache"
    ("uplevel" body line 14)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $block"
    (procedure "foreachport" line 18)
    invoked from within
"foreachport $portlist {
        if {![registry::entry_exists_for_name $portname]} {
            break_softcontinue "$portname is not installed" 1 stat..."
    (procedure "action_upgrade" line 15)
    invoked from within
"$action_proc $action $portlist [array get global_options]"
    (procedure "process_cmd" line 92)
    invoked from within
"process_cmd $remaining_args"
    invoked from within
"if { [llength $remaining_args] > 0 } {

    # If there are remaining arguments, process those as a command
    set exit_status [process_cmd $remaining..."
    (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 3695)