MacPorts 1.9.0 has been released

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jun 9 13:19:10 PDT 2010

>> I'm also registering all my requested ports, so that "sudo port
>> uninstall leaves" does the right thing.  And amazingly, it does!
>> Unfortunately, you have to run it a few times to get it settled down.

Scott> Can you elaborate on this, I am not familiar with this procedure.

I wasn't privvy to the development of it, so please, devs, step in
if I get this wrong...

but apparently, each time you say "port install FOO", that port is
marked "requested" automatically.  The "leaves" pseudo-target shows all
ports that are not either requested or dependencies of requested ports.

Since this is new to 1.9, you have to teach it what you've requested in
the past.  Say "port list unrequested", and from that list, mark your
ports of interest with "sudo port setrequested port1 port2 port3...".

Once you've done that, you can say "port list leaves", and either mark
some of them requested, or "sudo port uninstall leaves".  Repeat until
there are no more leaves.

Basically, it's like the old "port_cutleaves" port, but built in.  Thanks!