Problem with macports install, any help greatly appreciated

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 11 04:26:17 PDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 06:12, John Essam wrote:

> I have recently installed macports on my mac book pro Mac OX platform 10.5.8 to run the Gimp software as recommend by Gimp. I must admit I am not that much of a techie and I have found the whole process a bit bewildering.

Welcome! Sorry it's a bit confusing; hope we can help you out.

> Eg I have never used the terminal before, not even certain which terminal to use, I think it's the installed with my OX platform.

Yes, we're talking about the program called Terminal located in /Applications/Utilities.

> Heres what I have downloaded so far
>
> X11		version 		2.1.6	installed under aplications/utilities
>
> Xcode	version		3		installed in developer folder

Xcode version 3.0, it seems, based on the below.

> Macports					installed yesterday, so I gues it must be the lateast version
>
> When I type into the mac terminal -tcish-80x24
>

> sudo port install gimp as instructed on the gimp web site this is what I get.
>

> Last login: Fri Jun 19 09:12:17 on console
> john-essams-macbook-pro-15:~ johnessam$ port
> MacPorts 1.9.0
> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)

By typing "port" without any further commands, you have entered the MacPorts console.

> [Users/johnessam] > sudo port install gimp
> Unrecognized action "sudo"
> [Users/johnessam] > port install gimp
> Unrecognized action "port"

Therefore these commands make no sense.

> [Users/johnessam] > install gimp
> Warning: MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete certain actions (e.g. install).

"install gimp" makes sense to the MacPorts console, but it will not be able to complete because you need to have root privileges. So either you would have had to start the MacPorts console as root (e.g. have typed "sudo port") or just don't use the MacPorts console at all and just start off with "sudo port install gimp" in the first place.

To exit the MacPorts console and get back to the regular shell prompt, type "quit".

> Warning: The installed version of Xcode (3.0) is known to cause problems. Version 3.1.4 or later is recommended on Mac OS X 10.5.
> --->  Computing dependencies for gimp
>
> when I tried to download the latest version of Xcode from the mac web site it won't let me download it as I don't have the 10.6 platform

Yes, Apple doesn't make it terribly easy to find the latest version of Xcode for prior versions of Mac OS X. To get Xcode 3.1.4:

Go to http://connect.apple.com/

Log in with your Apple Developer Connection credentials. If you don't have any, sign up for a free online developer account.

Once you log in, go to Developer Tools on the right, then press Command-F and find "3.1.4" on that page, and download the Xcode 3.1.4 Developer Tools DVD disk image.