Too hard to get Dev tools [was Re: Problem with macports install, any help greatly appreciated]

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Jun 11 10:16:30 PDT 2010

On 2010-06-11 18:58 , Scott Haneda wrote:
> I was just wondering, if there is any way to have MacPorts be fully self
> contained. The ability to decide you want MAMP, download a tiny
> installer, run 'sudo port install mamp-stuff', and be done. This could
> be very powerful for good word of mouth of a great experience.
>
> On Linux they were stating in IRC:
>     sudo apt-get whatever

To be fair it would also require an update first:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install whatever

> On Mac: ( how I do it at least )
>     Reg/login with <http://apple.com>apple.com <http://apple.com>
>     Download Developer Tools
>     Software Update
>     Install MacPorts
>     Update MacPorts
>     sudo port install whatever
>
> It would be really cool to have parity on those two cases.

Also, you compare MacPorts with a binary distribution. If we would
provide pre-compiled packages, it wouldn't be necessary to install a
compiler first...

> [...]
> P.S. Why doesn't a new first time install of MacPorts perform
> 'selfupdate' for the user? Or does it and I'm not aware of this already
> happening?

The installer from the disk image is already running selfupdate at the
end of the installation process.

Rainer