Quick install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 11 16:00:25 PDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 17:51, Scott Haneda wrote:

>> port echo rdepof:assp and not installed
>
> Well that is damn handy.  How do I do something like this though:
>    port echo rdepof:~/Desktop/Portfile

cd ~/Desktop
port rdeps

This might be looking at the dependencies of the assp @1.1.0_0 port currently in the tree, not the new ASSP @1.7.1.5_0 port you're developing.

>    $port installed | grep -i assp
>      ASSP @1.7.1.5_0 (active)

Or equivalently:

port installed assp

Though with MacPorts 1.9.0 "port installed" is much quicker so there's not as much of a penalty for running the full "installed" and then grepping.

>    $grep 'port\:' Portfile
>    depends_lib         port:p5-io-compress \
>                        port:p5-digest-md5 \
>                        port:p5-digest-sha1 \
>                        port:p5-email-mime-modifier \
>                        port:p5-email-send \
>                        port:p5-email-valid \
>                        port:p5-file-readbackwards \
>                        port:p5-io-socket-ssl \
>                        port:p5-libwww-perl \
>                        port:p5-mail-spf \
>                        port:p5-mail-srs \
>                        port:p5-net \
>                        port:p5-net-cidr-lite \
>                        port:p5-net-dns \
>                        port:p5-net-ip-match-regexp \
>                        port:p5-net-senderbase \
>                        port:p5-net-syslog \
>                        port:p5-perl-ldap \
>                        port:p5-sys-syslog \
>                        port:p5-tie-dbi \
>                        port:p5-time-hires \
>                        port:p5-io-socket-ssl \
>                        port:p5-email-send \
>                        port:p5-text-iconv \
>                        port:p5-io-socket-inet6
>
> Here are a few more after reading more of the man page for `port`
>    $port list rdependentof ASSP
>    assp                           @1.1.0          mail/assp
>    $port list dependentof ASSP
>    assp                           @1.1.0          mail/assp
>    $port list depof ASSP
>    assp                           @1.1.0          mail/assp
>    $port list rdepof ASSP
>    assp                           @1.1.0          mail/assp

"port list" probably isn't what you want; see:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#portlist

Also, you're missing the colon after the selector. So what you really want is maybe

$ port echo rdependentof:ASSP
$ port echo dependentof:ASSP
$ port echo depof:ASSP
perl5
unzip
$ port echo rdepof:ASSP
perl5
perl5.8
unzip
$

>    $port echo depof:ASSP
>    perl5
>    unzip
>
> Huh?
>    $port dependents ASSP
>    ASSP has no dependents.

If this is not the output you expected, it may again be looking at the old assp currently in the ports tree and not the new ASSP you're developing. If you were to get your new port into the index (run portindex in your local ports repository) that should help.

> Did MacPorts get significantly faster, I just popped the version on this to 1.7.1.5 and while I understand MP's can't make things compile any faster, the text that was scrolling by that was MP's based stuff, felt a heck of a lot faster.  If it did, good work to everyone involved, it is certainly something I can feel, which generally means at least 20% improvement.

MacPorts 1.9.0 is significantly faster in several ways, particularly determining installed and outdated ports (now takes seconds instead of minutes).