Problem with gimp help instalation

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 23:47:01 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM, John Essam <jnessam at mac.com> wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2010, at 11:45, John Essam wrote:
>
> I have  installed sudo port install gimp-user-manual, then when I tried to
> use onscreen help this message came up from the gimp help screen
>

> Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml'<http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml%27> for
> reading: Operation not supported
>

> Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS?
>

> Have found a gimp help binary file on the net from
>
> gimp-help-2.6.0-html-zh_CN.tar.bz2   from ftp://ftp.gimp.org, it is a
> zipped file
>
> is this the right file to use as my present onscreen help is not working
>
> if so how do I get it into macports and where should it go.

I tried to install the separate gimp help package using:

$ sudo port install gimp-user-manual
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for gimp-user-manual
--->  Cleaning gimp-user-manual
$

But when I tried to load help within Gimp I still got:

Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' for reading:
Operation not supported

Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS?

Perhaps the binary you found should be added to /opt/local/lib/gimp/2.0 .
Not sure myself yet. Still checking things out..