Problem with macports install, any help greatly appreciated

joseph davison jwdavison at me.com
Mon Jun 14 06:44:17 PDT 2010

One thing that might be useful is
sudo install manopen

That will install a tool that lets you read "man[ual] pages" easily for the unix-y tools installed on your system.
Many programs (probably including gimp -- I haven't tried it) that come from the unix world are / were  documented using "man pages", and this lets you read them.

Once it's installed you can read the manpage for ports, for instance -- (although that may be like trying to drink from a firehose).   Still it shows you one way to find what other programs are available.

On the other hand, the MacPorts Homepage is probably even more convenient

--
  joe
  joda at ieee.org