Problem with macports install, any help greatly appreciated

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Jun 14 08:05:08 PDT 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 6:44 AM, joseph davison <jwdavison at me.com> wrote:

> One thing that might be useful is
> sudo install manopen
>
> That will install a tool that lets you read "man[ual] pages" easily
> for the unix-y tools installed on your system.
> Many programs (probably including gimp -- I haven't tried it) that
> come from the unix world are / were  documented using "man pages",
> and this lets you read them.

I must have missed a thread, but what is wrong with the built in 'man'
that is available to all Mac OS X installs.

As far as I remember, 'man' has been with us since the 10.0 days.

> Once it's installed you can read the manpage for ports, for instance
> -- (although that may be like trying to drink from a firehose).
> Still it shows you one way to find what other programs are available.

If 'man' doesn't work now, I would suspect a second copy may also not
work.

How come the built-in is not acceptable for this user?

(Sent from a mobile device)