Old ports

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 15 14:25:13 PDT 2010

I know that when I do an update, by default, the old port is deactivated, but not uninstalled.  And, if I want to get rid of old ports I can do:
sudo port -u uninstall

However, I just noticed that macports seems to still leave around the distribution files.  For example, I have qt4-mac installed, and a few old versions from prior updates.  But I have a number of prior distributions, going back even further, and each one is ~100 meg.  So just my /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/qt4-mac directory is 1.5 gig!

My question is whether there is an easy way to clean out all of the old distributions?  I suppose I could just go and search through every one and rm any old ones that I don't want, but that seems like a bunch of extra work (and could it confuse macports?).
Also, are there any other old files around that "sudo port -u uninstall" will not get rid of?

Is the right way to go just to do:

sudo port clean --all uninstalled

Thanks,

--Adam