Old ports

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:36:36 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> However, I just noticed that macports seems to still leave around the distribution files.  For example, I have qt4-mac installed, and a few old versions from prior updates.  But I have a number of prior distributions, going back even further, and each one is ~100 meg.  So just my /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/qt4-mac directory is 1.5 gig!
>
> My question is whether there is an easy way to clean out all of the old distributions?  I suppose I could just go and search through every one and rm any old ones that I don't want, but that seems like a bunch of extra work (and could it confuse macports?).
> Is the right way to go just to do:
>
> sudo port clean --all uninstalled

Since in this case you have qt4-mac installed, I don't think the above
command will remove the dist files.  So you could try "sudo port clean
--all installed" instead.  But if you have dist files around from
ports that you have previously uninstalled then you might also need
your above command, or maybe the seemingly more comprehensive "sudo
port clean --all all".  You might want to use the -f flag too for
ports that share the same distfile directory.  This takes a while
though, and perhaps you don't have so many ports that you've
uninstalled.  When you uninstall ports it says "--->  Cleaning
portname" but I guess that probably only removes the work files and
not the dist files.

Scott