NumPy, SciPy, universal builds, and default fortran compiler for scientific ports

vincent habchi vince at macports.org
Wed Jun 16 11:53:20 PDT 2010

Adam

> I believe this i7 incompatiblity was the reason for ATLAS to use gcc44
> instead of gcc43, but testing is important.

I know that I systematically told the people that experienced bugs with Atlas on their i7 machine to use the newest possible gcc, that is gcc45, and it worked. But I am not aware of any owner of an i5/i7 machine trying with gcc44. But you're right, that's not really the subject here.

> gcc45 is still at 4.5.0, so if gcc45 is chosen it would probably be
> better waiting till at least 4.5.1.

Seems perfectly sound.
Vincent