selfupdate fails

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Thu Jun 17 11:58:21 PDT 2010

Hi Ryan,

> Well, can your C compiler create executables? Is Xcode properly installed? Check the config.log for more details!
up to now i never had problems with my macports and Xcode installation…

config.log says this:
---
configure:3002: checking for gcc
configure:3018: found /opt/local/bin/no_default_gcc/gcc
configure:3029: result: gcc
configure:3258: checking for C compiler version
configure:3267: gcc --version >&5
gcc --version
gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
configure:3278: $? = 1
configure:3267: gcc -v >&5
gcc -v
gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
configure:3278: $? = 1
configure:3267: gcc -V >&5
gcc -V
gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
configure:3278: $? = 1
configure:3267: gcc -qversion >&5
gcc -qversion
gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
configure:3278: $? = 1
configure:3298: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:3320: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
gcc conftest.c
gcc: Error: You should be using ${configure.cc}
See http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
configure:3324: $? = 1
configure:3362: result: no
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "MacPorts"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "macports"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.9.0"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "MacPorts 1.9.0"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org"
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:3367: error: in `/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base':
configure:3371: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
---

UsingTheRightCompiler rings a bell! :) You hinted that out to me when I introduced the makeicns port.
But I didn't expect to see a message like this when I do an upgrade to 1.9.0…

I wonder how to proceed from here.

Greets,
Marko