NumPy, SciPy, universal builds, and default fortran compiler for scientific ports

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Thu Jun 17 12:12:08 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:48, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> I don't know why anyone would need a universal scipy or numpy. Do they
> have any dependents that only build for a particular arch? It might be
> best to just mark all the dependents as non-universal too.

I agree, but I think one problem is that NumPy uses the same compiler
flags as were used to build Python (at least that used to be the
case), so if Python was built universally so was NumPy - not sure if
this is still the case...

> It's high time this happened. There has been no movement on these
> tickets, so maintainer timeout is going to be invoked.

Thanks for doing this, you're right it's past time this was done.

Cheers

Adam