firefox-x11 & matplotlib

Instruct ICC instructicc at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 14:33:19 PDT 2010

> [...]
> --->  Cleaning gperf
> --->  Computing dependencies for libiconv
> --->  Fetching libiconv
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libiconv
> --->  Extracting libiconv
> --->  Applying patches to libiconv
> --->  Configuring libiconv
> --->  Configuring libiconv for architecture x86_64
> --->  Configuring libiconv for architecture i386
> --->  Building libiconv
> --->  Building libiconv for architecture x86_64
> --->  Building libiconv for architecture i386
> --->  Staging libiconv into destroot
> --->  Staging libiconv into destroot for architecture x86_64
> --->  Staging libiconv into destroot for architecture i386
> --->  Deactivating libiconv @1.13.1_0
> --->  Computing dependencies for libiconv
> --->  Installing libiconv @1.13.1_0+universal
> --->  Activating libiconv @1.13.1_0+universal
> --->  Cleaning libiconv
> --->  Computing dependencies for ncursesw
> --->  Fetching ncursesw
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ncursesw
> --->  Extracting ncursesw
> --->  Applying patches to ncursesw
> --->  Configuring ncursesw
> --->  Configuring ncursesw for architecture x86_64
> --->  Configuring ncursesw for architecture i386
> --->  Building ncursesw
> --->  Building ncursesw for architecture x86_64
> --->  Building ncursesw for architecture i386
> --->  Staging ncursesw into destroot
> --->  Staging ncursesw into destroot for architecture x86_64
> --->  Staging ncursesw into destroot for architecture i386
> --->  Deactivating ncursesw @5.7_0+darwin_10
> --->  Computing dependencies for ncursesw
> --->  Installing ncursesw @5.7_0+darwin_10+universal
> --->  Activating ncursesw @5.7_0+darwin_10+universal
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
> /opt/local/share/terminfo/2/2621a already exists and does not belong
> to a registered port.  Unable to activate port ncursesw.
> --->  Computing dependencies for ncurses
> --->  Activating ncursesw @5.7_0+darwin_10+universal
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: ncursesw
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
> Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag
> to get complete output.
>
> But I cannot do that; the port upgrade --enforce-variants libcanberra
> +universal does not accept the -d, or I do not know where to plug it
>
> Pau
>
> 2010/4/10 Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at macports.org>:
> > As I mentioned earlier.  You should use the +internal_dependencies variant:
> >
> > sudo port -v install firefox-x11-devel +internal_dependencies
> >
> > On Apr 9, 2010, at 14:48, Pau wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would really love to have firefox running on x11... but xulrunner is
> >> still giving trouble after a selfupdate and outdated and I still do
> >> not know how to install the i386 version...
> >>
> >> Any help will be apprecited. Thanks,
> >>
> >> Pau

"Why don't you just use the i386 version of firefox?"

sudo port install firefox-x11
fails at Building dbus
on Intel Tiger (32 bit Core Duo)
using MacPorts 1.8x
and again after "sudo port -d selfupdate"
which updated to MacPorts 1.9.0

sudo port install firefox-x11
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for firefox-x11
--->  Dependencies to be installed: xulrunner gconf dbus-glib dbus policykit libcanberra libnotify
--->  Building dbus
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed
Log for dbus is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_dbus/main.log
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: xulrunner gconf dbus-glib dbus policykit libcanberra libnotify
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

sudo port install xulrunner
--->  Computing dependencies for xulrunner
--->  Dependencies to be installed: gconf dbus-glib dbus policykit libcanberra libnotify
--->  Building dbus
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed
Log for dbus is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_dbus/main.log
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gconf dbus-glib dbus policykit libcanberra libnotify
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

Unlike another thread stating selfupdate fails, mine worked.

I wanted to port forward Safari (ssh -X|Y), but learned that I need an X11 app, so I was trying firefox-x11.

Also, I found out something interesting last night while trying to build all the components separately from multiple Terminals.  MacPorts is smart enough to lock files, so any Terminal would block until the file was unlocked or perform the next step even if another Terminal had started the install.

My machine was starved for processes.  It would be cool if a new strategy was implemented by MacPorts to spawn multiple threads of building all the dependencies to run in parallel instead of serially.  The existing locking mechanism would sort it out.  I bet build/install times would be shorter.  Even single core machines would benefit.  I don't know how you'd sync the logging of what steps are happening though -- Maybe just preface each log like so:

[Thread 1: ]--->  Computing dependencies for firefox-x11

[Thread 1: ]--->  Dependencies to be installed: xulrunner gconf dbus-glib dbus
policykit libcanberra libnotify

[Thread 1: ]--->  Spawning threads: xulrunner gconf dbus-glib dbus
policykit libcanberra libnotify
[Thread 2: ]--->  Computing dependencies for xulrunner
[Thread 3: ]--->  Computing dependencies for gconf
[Thread 4: ]--->  Computing dependencies for dbus-glib
[Thread 5: ]--->  Computing dependencies for dbus
[Thread 6: ]--->  Computing dependencies for policykit
[Thread 7: ]--->  Computing dependencies for libcanberra

[Thread 8: ]--->  Computing dependencies for libnotify

[Thread 1: ]--->  Building dbus
etc.