New 10.6.4

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Sat Jun 19 22:15:53 PDT 2010

On 6/19/10 10:50 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2010, at 23:45, John B Brown wrote:

>>> Have you already tried the usual instructions for disabling the auto-starting xterm?
>>>
>>> http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-77693.html
>>
>> 	Following the directions on the forum, I commented out the bottom of the xinitrc script from twm&  to the last line of xterm starts. There is no change; a small xterm screen still presents after login.
>
> In what file did you make that change?

	After copying xinitrc from /opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc
I modified that file. That was after discovering there were duplicates
of the /opt/X11 tree under /usr/X11, not exact duplicates.

	So I got around to following the exact directions after modifying the
original under the /usr tree, and then under the /opt tree and;

	nothing changed. And still nothing has changed. I restored all the
originals to their original text.

>> 	Is there some other place XQuartz looks for login scripts to start X things? I've set XQuartz to start on login and configured it to start nothing using the Applications/Customize' feature under the icon. Might there be another xinitrc script for XQuartz?

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068