New 10.6.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 19 23:26:25 PDT 2010

On Jun 20, 2010, at 00:15, John B Brown wrote:

> On 6/19/10 10:50 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> 	Following the directions on the forum, I commented out the bottom of the xinitrc script from twm&  to the last line of xterm starts. There is no change; a small xterm screen still presents after login.
>>
>> In what file did you make that change?
>>

> 	After copying xinitrc from /opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc I modified that file. That was after discovering there were duplicates of the /opt/X11 tree under /usr/X11, not exact duplicates.
>
> 	So I got around to following the exact directions after modifying the original under the /usr tree, and then under the /opt tree and;
>
> 	nothing changed. And still nothing has changed. I restored all the originals to their original text.

To make absolutely sure: You're editing the file ~/.xinitrc, right? Not the file /opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc or /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc?

If you're editing /.xinitrc and it's not having any effect, I don't know why. I have not tried XQuartz per se; I've used Mac OS X's X11 and the xorg-server port in MacPorts. They should be similar though.