A word on Trac ticket submissions...

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 22 14:28:04 PDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 3:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 15:14, Scott Webster wrote:
>
>> I think this is likely the most common "mistake" people make when
>> submitting tickets (failing to cc the maintainer).  Perhaps we can add
>> a little comment next to the cc box that reminds people to do so and
>> tells them how to find the maintainer address.  I'll try to take a
>> look at the form and see if I can figure out if this or any other
>> trivial changes would work.
>
> We already have a big red banner reading "Please read the Ticket Guidelines before submitting" at the top of the New Ticket form which explains about Cc'ing the maintainer and everything else we want submitters to do... But they don't read it...

How about changing the label on the cc field to say "cc (put maintainer email here; don't include yourself)"

Below is all I found in the directions about the cc field.  It does say that the maintainer should be cc'd but I don't think it's very clear because it refers to an action on the ticket that isn't even grayed out so it's not clear that its an unavailable field but rather looks more like the instructions don't match the form any more. (So I thought at first that tickets automagically got sent to the maintainer.  Then I got told to set maintainer, but I didn't see a field for it so I was mystified.)
"
	• Cc: Anyone else besides the ticket reporter and assignee who would like to be kept involved in the development of the ticket. Multiple email addresses should be separated with a comma and a space (i.e. you at example.org, maintainer at macports.org).

Most users will not be able to assign tickets. If this applies to you, then when reporting port-related tickets, make sure you add the port's maintainer to cc. Otherwise they may not notice the ticket.

"

I suggest the following replacement.  (Since I don't have submit authority, I assume I can't change it myself, but perhaps I'm wrong.)

"
	• Cc: The maintainer (found by entering "port info foo" for the maintainer of port foo) and anyone else besides the ticket reporter and assignee who would like to be kept involved in the development of the ticket. Multiple email addresses should be separated with a comma and a space (i.e. somebody at example.org, someone at macports.org).
"

Lenore Horner