64 bits?

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:10:27 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Johannes Ruscheinski
<ruschein at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to re-install everything in 64-bit.  Don't remember the
> details of what I went through because it's over a week ago but I beat
> on it several times before I became too frustrated and gave up.  I
> also messed up my 32-bit install, doing that.  The final thing I tried
> involved a compile from source but I got an error.  I seem to vaguely
> remember it having something to do with TCL or Tk.

When I saw that you wanted "pure 64-bit" I thought you were going for
a 64-bit only install, with no 32-bit.  Now it seems that you already
had a 32-bit install and now want to switch to 64-bit?  Depending on
how you got your 32-bit install (previous OS etc.) this may not be
supported.  See:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

If you install from scratch, then the default should be 64-bit for
everything is you have an Intel CPU that supports it.  You can check
to make sure that your ${prefix}/etc/macports/macports.conf does NOT
have an uncommented line that says
build_arch i386, because that would cause everything to go in as 32-bit.

It is possible to install (some) ports as both 32-bit and 64-bit by
using the universal variant.  For instance:
sudo port install portname +universal
Your macports.conf probably has a line that specifies the
architectures used for universal builds, which you would want to be
"universal_archs         x86_64 i386" in this case.  However,
switching from one architecture to universal after you already have
ports installed is not always trivial, because if you switch a port to
universal then all of its dependencies must also be universal and I
don't think this can be easily accomplished automatically.

In summary, I think the easiest way to get an all 64 bit install on a
64 bit Intel CPU is to start from scratch and it will just be the
default.  No warranty!

Scott