LibSDL_Mixer - static lib is linked to dynamic libs

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 04:52:48 PST 2010

Hi all,

I'm struggling with building our game engine (Exult) statically, since we want to have it ready for a possible release soon. After messing around with the hurdles of building programs static, I had been almost successful, only to be plagued by libsdl_mixer. It's static file is dynamic linked to other libs (libvorbis, libogg, libflac) which IMHO defeats the purpose of having a static lib.
I'm not sure if that is a ticketable issue or if there is any way to hack around that static/dynamic issue that Apple produced.

I WAS able to work around it by downloading the SDL_Mixer framework from the homepage and linking to that in the exult makefile. Of course in the Appbundle, I also needed to add the SDL framework but it worked this way and I had a working (still got to test that on another machine, though) app.
But I'd prefer it to not have to bundle the framework.
So, again, any way to hack the build of libsdl_mixer to link the libs statically?

Thanks and take care

Dom