LibSDL_Mixer - static lib is linked to dynamic libs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 1 05:02:56 PST 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 06:52, Dominik Reichardt wrote:

> I'm struggling with building our game engine (Exult) statically, since we want to have it ready for a possible release soon. After messing around with the hurdles of building programs static, I had been almost successful, only to be plagued by libsdl_mixer. It's static file is dynamic linked to other libs (libvorbis, libogg, libflac) which IMHO defeats the purpose of having a static lib.

That sounds like a valid complaint. For the benefit of those of us not familiar, how do you determine that the static lib is dynamically linked to other libs?

> I'm not sure if that is a ticketable issue or if there is any way to hack around that static/dynamic issue that Apple produced.

Sounds like a valid thing to open a ticket for. Though the libsdl_mixer portfile doesn't appear to do anything special, so a plain from-source build outside of MacPorts would probably also exhibit this problem, so it's probably an upstream problem and should probably be reported there.

> So, again, any way to hack the build of libsdl_mixer to link the libs statically?

I have no idea how to fix this problem. Contacting the developers of this software may be your best bet.