port installation time

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 2 07:35:14 PST 2010

On Mar 2, 2010, at 06:05, syed zubair wrote:

> I installed macports and then issued the command for verbose installation of
> geany 0.18 (devel).
> The process has not finished after over 7 hours and I have no idea how much
> longer it is going take.
> Is there something wrong or it is normal? Helpful comments requested.
> Greetings

geany itself took about 3 minutes to install on my MacBook Pro. It has several dependencies which will take a little time to build too. What is the last step shown in MacPorts' output on your system? "--->  Building geany"? or something earlier? Different Macs will take different amounts of time to build, but 7 hours might be excessive in this case.

You can interrupt MacPorts by pressing Control-C, then press the up arrow to re-type the last command you typed (probably "sudo port install geany"). Use the left arrow to place the insertion point between "port" and "install" and add "-d" so that it reads "sudo port -d install geany" and press Return. MacPorts well resume where it left off but now show you all sorts of debug information that can keep you apprised of the build progress. As long as output keeps appearing, MacPorts is probably busy doing useful things. If it stops at some point, you can let us know what it says.