Simple question about ncurses and ncursesw

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 10 01:48:38 PST 2010

On 2010-03-05 19:09 , Tabitha McNerney wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I have what I hope is a simple question about ncurses and ncursesw. I'm
> essentially wondering what the difference is between these two ports? I
> noticed their checksums (for the source are the same), so why not just
> combine them into one port?

ncursesw provides wide-character support. But usually we want both, wide
and narrow characters, thus we need to compile the library twice with
different configure flags (--enable-widec for ncursesw). A Portfile can
only handle one run of configure/make/make install, therefore we need
two Portfiles for this.

Rainer