Simple question about ncurses and ncursesw

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:09:30 PST 2010

Hi all --

I have what I hope is a simple question about ncurses and ncursesw. I'm
essentially wondering what the difference is between these two ports? I
noticed their checksums (for the source are the same), so why not just
combine them into one port?

The reason I ask is that I need to configure make and install ncurses as a
dependency for another program I'm making on Intel based Macs, and I need to
do this on my own from source rather than using MacPorts (I would prefer to
use MacPorts but circumstances at the moment don't allow me to), yet I want
to follow and learn from MacPorts ... so if I build ncurses on my own, do I
need to emulate the two MacPorts approaches (ncursesw before ncurses)?

Thanks much,

Tabitha