ImageMagick

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 15 00:49:51 PDT 2010

On Mar 14, 2010, at 21:19, Arno Hautala wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 20:34, LuKreme wrote:
>>
>> OK, so I try to the suggested command
>>
>> bash-3.2# sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants ghostscript +universal
>>
>> A short delay, no output, and then a prompt. So I check what is installed
>>
>> bash-3.2# port installed ghostscript
>> The following ports are currently installed:
>>  ghostscript @8.71_1+no_x11 (active)

Sorry, ImageMagick cannot be built universal when you use the +gs variant, because as you've noticed ghostscript does not have a universal variant. If you want ghostscript support, don't use the universal variant. If you want the universal variant, don't request ghostscript support.

> IM could also use a bug report noting that it needs "universal_variant
> no" added to the Portfile, at least until ghostscript gains universal
> building.

The ImageMagick port does not globally need "universal_variant no" because the universal build works fine when you do not use the +gs variant. I could add "universal_variant no" to the gs variant only. But the existing error message is clear enough about what the problem is, no? It places the blame correctly on the ghostscript port. Anyway, I'd rather the ghostscript port be fixed to have a universal variant. *That* deserves a bug report. This one may cover it:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21545