Port problem: GitX

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 16 23:33:11 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 01:29, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>>> Is there a reason not to use git-core?
>>
>> That's what I would suggest to do.
>>
>>> Could you modify that port to have a +universal variant?
>>
>> That would be a great addition to the portfile.
>
> The first thing I checked was the dependencies of the gui; it depends
> on git-core, so installing the GitX gui would also install git-core.
>
> You are saying, if I understand correctly, that git-core does not
> support universal, so I cannot take what I make, and package it as a
> universal binary for any mac to run git. Is that accurate?

MacPorts provides automatic universal build support for most ports that use a standard configure script. git-core does not use a standard configure script (the portfile says "use_configure no"), so the built-in automatic universal support is disabled for git-core. If you want a universal git-core, you will have to modify the git-core portfile to support a universal build manually. There are several strategies available to do this but it probably begins with needing to add the universal CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS to the ones the software will be given.