port_cutleaves

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 17 03:35:17 PDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 20:19, Scott Haneda wrote:

> My first time using port_cutleaves:

[snip]

> Both of those are normal software, active, and software I use on a regular basis, is this telling me it would remove it?

Yes it would remove those ports if you answered "u" for uninstall instead of "k" for keep.

> I do not understand why it was picked up in the list to begin with?

> It even wants to offer to remove itself.

port_cutleaves doesn't know what ports you want and what ports you don't want. It only knows what ports don't have any dependents (any ports installed that depend on them); these are the candidates for uninstallation that are presented to you.

You may wish to make use of the exclude feature, where you can write a list of ports (regular expressions, actually) in the file ~/.port_leaves.exclude that you wish port_cutleaves not to suggest to you. I explain this in more detail here:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-February/019018.html