Apache, MySQL an PHP compatibility with OS X Server 10.6.2

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Mar 18 13:12:25 PDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 11:36 AM, René Fournier wrote:

> Since I've never used MacPorts before, I'm wondering how compatible it is with OSX Server -- that is, the locations of some of this software is different for OS X Client and Server. Also, I wonder if I will still be able to use Server Admin to manage Web and MySQL, or will I have to do everything from Terminal (which I don't mind, actually). Has anyone got any advice on the best way to proceed?

It is 100% compatible in that it will not hurt your OS X Server install.  Everything will be installed in a prefix, generally /opt/local.

You will completely lose your ability to use Server Admin Tools for Apache and MySql and whatever else you decide to use MacPorts for.

I do it on Mac OS X server.  I do not like OS X Server Admin tools for a MAMP stack.  I think it is good for file sharing, print serving, portable homes, and all the other great things OS X Server does, but OS X Server as a shared hosting server does not have a good set of software tools for managing that scenario.