New user, port selfupdate error

tome at QX.Net tome at QX.Net
Sat Mar 20 10:18:55 PDT 2010

First, I have just realized that I have been replying to the mailing list incorrectly.  The error occurred because I have been using the ffmpeg mailing list
and when one replies to that list, the mailing list email address automatically goes in the To: box, at least on my system.  I have been replying directly
to those that replyed to my needs, and not the mailing list.   My mistake, my apologies.

So, to Richard DeLaurell, thanks for your reply.  I meant -d, but typed -v.  Sorry!

Next, to Frank Schima, it seems I should not mention the 'other site', so hopefully you got my email with the requested information.

As background, I have been trying to install faac from a source download, and have not been able to get any help with the problem I have
encountered. Continued web searching lead me to a mention of installing with 'the other site', which lead me to the 'other sites' web site. I then just
followed the instructions. I will run port uninstall and then find the latest source and try that. As for your other question, which make? ==>
/usr/local/bin/make I installed this ( 3.81 ) from a source download to replace 3.80, a requirement for installing ffmpeg      Thanks for your help!

Now, to Ryan,

I followed Frank's guidance to install 1.8.2, which I have installed, over 1.7.  I initially thought about doing port uninstall for 1.7, but not
knowing that I was dealing with two different 'port' sites, I decided that 1.8.2 fit in the update category and that uninstall should not be necessary.
Was that a mistake?   port version shows 1.8.2, and it seemed to run once I got the make binary in it's path.

My problem now is that I received an Error when I tried     sudo port install faac       which I then reexecuted with the -d flag and saved the output.  It is
unclear whether I should go directly to the <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets> or put the Error on this mailing list?  I will list the Error in
this email, but if I should go to the bug site, I will do that also.      The Error:

.
.
.
Usage: /usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool -dynamic [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]] [-arch_only arch] [-o output] [-
install_name name] [-compatibility_version #] [-current_version #] [-seg1addr 0x#] [-segs_read_only_addr 0x#] [-segs_read_write_addr 0x#] [-
seg_addr_table <filename>] [-seg_addr_table_filename <file_system_path>] [-all_load] [-noall_load]
make: *** [libmp4v2.la] Error 1
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_multimedia_mp4v2/work/mp4v2-1.9.1" &&
/opt/local/bin/make -j1 all " returned error 2
DEBUG: Backtrace: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_multimedia_mp4v2/work/mp4v2-1.9.1" &&
/opt/local/bin/make -j1 all " returned error 2
    while executing
"command_exec build"
    (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 9)
    invoked from within
"$procedure $targetname"
Warning: the following items did not execute (for mp4v2): org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: mp4v2
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

My thanks to everybody for your support!!!!

Tom