New user, port selfupdate error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 20 11:21:29 PDT 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 12:18, tome at QX.Net wrote:

> As background, I have been trying to install faac from a source download, and have not been able to get any help with the problem I have
> encountered. Continued web searching lead me to a mention of installing with 'the other site', which lead me to the 'other sites' web site. I then just
> followed the instructions. I will run port uninstall and then find the latest source and try that. As for your other question, which make? ==>
> /usr/local/bin/make I installed this ( 3.81 ) from a source download to replace 3.80, a requirement for installing ffmpeg      Thanks for your help!

Please remove this make and anything else in /usr/local; it will probably interfere and cause problems sooner or later. If you need a newer make, install it with MacPorts using the gmake port (on which the ffmpeg port already depends, FYI).

> Now, to Ryan,
>
> I followed Frank's guidance to install 1.8.2, which I have installed, over 1.7.  I initially thought about doing port uninstall for 1.7, but not
> knowing that I was dealing with two different 'port' sites, I decided that 1.8.2 fit in the update category and that uninstall should not be necessary.
> Was that a mistake?   port version shows 1.8.2, and it seemed to run once I got the make binary in it's path.

No, that's fine.

Note that "port uninstall" uninstalls (and "port install" installs) ports, not the MacPorts base infrastructure. To uninstall the MacPorts base infrastructure, should you ever want to do so, instructions are in the guide:

http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html

> My problem now is that I received an Error when I tried     sudo port install faac       which I then reexecuted with the -d flag and saved the output.  It is
> unclear whether I should go directly to the <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets> or put the Error on this mailing list?  I will list the Error in
> this email, but if I should go to the bug site, I will do that also.      The Error:
>
> .
> .
> .
> Usage: /usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool -dynamic [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]] [-arch_only arch] [-o output] [-
> install_name name] [-compatibility_version #] [-current_version #] [-seg1addr 0x#] [-segs_read_only_addr 0x#] [-segs_read_write_addr 0x#] [-
> seg_addr_table <filename>] [-seg_addr_table_filename <file_system_path>] [-all_load] [-noall_load]
> make: *** [libmp4v2.la] Error 1
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_multimedia_mp4v2/work/mp4v2-1.9.1" &&
> /opt/local/bin/make -j1 all " returned error 2

This problem is reported here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21007

There is a patch in the ticket. I have not yet looked at it to see why this has not yet been committed to the ports tree.