How long does a complete build work?

guylinton guy.linton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 12:04:26 PDT 2010

I appreciate that MacPorts is largely(?) a volunteer effort, but it seems
that there is a very short time when a full build works.

I have been trying to update my build  (of Gramps) since 16 March.

zlib (which went wrong on 15 March was updated to fix the problems with many
ports under  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/24067 ticket 24067  on 19
March 2010.

I have now started a build from scratch (building gcc43 takes about 6 hours
on my 2.1 Ghz PowerPC G5, the rest of the builds take about 5 hours in all,
but can't be just left because of failures!)

Unfortunately, libproxy was updated from 0.3.0 to 0.4.0 on 17 March, and
this now fails  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/24127 ticket 24127 ticket
24127.

deesto under 24083 says "I've been trying to install GIMP via ports for
weeks now; this is my 3rd or 4th related broken port to follow :("   "... my
comment was meant simply to outline my frustration overall in trying to
install what I initially saw as one port, which relies on many others, just
one of which being zlib. In any case, I certainly did not expect so many
complications. I've installed many ports in the past, but this is a new
system and I'm starting from scratch."

What is the usual average time for which a whole build works without error?
On this evidence it is minus 2 days (19 Mar to 17 Mar)!