Encountering error in upgrade of subversion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 21 10:13:39 PDT 2010

On Mar 21, 2010, at 00:52, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2010, at 16:22, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>>  sudo port deactivate cyrus-sasl2
>>  sudo port clean cyrus-sasl2
>>  sudo port upgrade cyrus-sasl2
>
> Many thanks for the reply.  I did as you recommended and that got me over that obstacle.  Then it happened again.

You mean: then a different error happened. Can't be the same error, since you said you overcame it, and the ticket Rainer pointed you to was specific to cyrus-sasl2.

> This time, after also doing a deactivate, clean and install on subversion 1.6.5, I watched the build long enough to see it complain about my version of ruby being too outdated for subversion to use.  When I scrolled back (thank goodness for sufficiently big scroll buffers) over the previous subversion build failure's output, I noticed that despite it also making the same complaint about ruby being too outdated for subversion 1.6.5 to use, the build had continued until it crapped out about an hour later instead of acknowledging the critical dependency on ruby versions and just stopping at that point so it would be obvious what the issue was.  I discovered that if I manually built the latest version of ruby and then went back to do a deactivate, clean and install, subversion 1.6.5 built and installed without problems.  FYI.

First, please confirm: you have subversion 1.6.5? The subversion port is at version 1.6.9. If your subversion port is at version 1.6.5, you are out of date; "sudo port selfupdate" to update your port definitions, then "sudo port upgrade outdated" to upgrade all outdated ports. Then "sudo port clean subversion" and try again.

Before you try again, make sure you remove anything you have in /usr/local; it often interferes with MacPorts.

If you still see the problem, file a bug report. The subversion port does not declare a dependency on the ruby port, therefore subversion should not be using ruby. If subversion is using ruby, it needs to either declare a dependency, or be made not to use ruby even when it is installed.