Encountering error in upgrade of subversion

Kok-Yong Tan ktan at realityartisans.com
Sun Mar 21 12:45:14 PDT 2010

On Mar 21, 2010, at 13:13, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2010, at 00:52, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:
>
>> On Mar 20, 2010, at 16:22, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>
>>>  sudo port deactivate cyrus-sasl2
>>>  sudo port clean cyrus-sasl2
>>>  sudo port upgrade cyrus-sasl2
>>
>> Many thanks for the reply.  I did as you recommended and that got
>> me over that obstacle.  Then it happened again.
>
> You mean: then a different error happened. Can't be the same error,
> since you said you overcame it, and the ticket Rainer pointed you
> to was specific to cyrus-sasl2.

Correct.  Sorry for the imprecision in wording on my part.  What I
meant was that the build of subversion halted again.

>> This time, after also doing a deactivate, clean and install on
>> subversion 1.6.5, I watched the build long enough to see it
>> complain about my version of ruby being too outdated for
>> subversion to use.  When I scrolled back (thank goodness for
>> sufficiently big scroll buffers) over the previous subversion
>> build failure's output, I noticed that despite it also making the
>> same complaint about ruby being too outdated for subversion 1.6.5
>> to use, the build had continued until it crapped out about an hour
>> later instead of acknowledging the critical dependency on ruby
>> versions and just stopping at that point so it would be obvious
>> what the issue was.  I discovered that if I manually built the
>> latest version of ruby and then went back to do a deactivate,
>> clean and install, subversion 1.6.5 built and installed without
>> problems.  FYI.
>
> First, please confirm: you have subversion 1.6.5? The subversion
> port is at version 1.6.9.

Yes, confirmed:  subversion 1.6.5 is what got built as the "latest"
by MacPorts.

> If your subversion port is at version 1.6.5, you are out of date;
> "sudo port selfupdate" to update your port definitions, then "sudo
> port upgrade outdated" to upgrade all outdated ports. Then "sudo
> port clean subversion" and try again.
>
> Before you try again, make sure you remove anything you have in /
> usr/local; it often interferes with MacPorts.

Doing that now.  It's doing a massive rebuild across the board.

> If you still see the problem, file a bug report. The subversion
> port does not declare a dependency on the ruby port, therefore
> subversion should not be using ruby. If subversion is using ruby,
> it needs to either declare a dependency, or be made not to use ruby
> even when it is installed.

Will do.

--
Reality Artisans, Inc.             #   Network Wrangling and Delousing
P.O. Box 565, Gracie Station       #   Apple Certified Consultant