Encountering error in upgrade of subversion

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Mar 21 19:59:27 PDT 2010

On Mar 21, 2010, at 3:33 PM, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:
> No, what I meant is that I had to "manually" install ruby by doing "port -v install ruby" before doing "port -v install subversion" and that "port -v install subversion" didn't seem to automatically chain to an installation of ruby.  If I didn't manually do a "port -v install ruby", "port -v install subversion" kept insisting that the copy of /usr/bin/ruby was "too old to be used by subversion" (I'm paraphrasing here but it was something very close to that) towards the end of the "check stage" of the subversion build where it looked for supporting utilities after a "port deactivate subversion", "port clean subversion" and then "port install subversion" and kept stopping towards the end of the attempted installation. Once ruby was installed in /opt/local/bin, the build of subversion worked fine. If ruby itself isn't required by subversion, it could be that by doing the "port -v install ruby", it pulled in something that subversion required.

Unless something has changed with how subversion interacts with ruby I don't think having an old ruby will cause a build problem (you'll see a warning when configure is run because it will find the old ruby and reject it for building the ruby bindings, but the build won't actually try to build the ruby bindings, so the warning doesn't matter). The subversion-rubybindings port declares a dependency on macports ruby, so if you need the ruby bindings, you'll install that and it will be fine.

If you (or anyone else) sees an error like that and/or is able to reproduce the problem, please capture the build log and attach it to a ticket so that the problem can be fixed.

Thanks!

--
Daniel J. Luke