Is there a way to get the previous version of any package?

Kok-Yong Tan ktan at realityartisans.com
Tue Mar 23 22:04:09 PDT 2010

I'm experiencing an issue with zlib where it won't read any
previously saved files that a previous version of wireshark used to
read without problems.  What is odd is that while the latest version
of wireshark (1.2.6) compiles and runs fine under X11, it only reads
the first couple of dozen packets of a live capture off the wire and
then seems to stop capturing (the window doesn't continue to scroll
upwards with fresh packets like it used to do).  Then when I
explicitly stop the capture by clicking on the "Stop Capture" button,
I get the following error:

The capture file appears to be damaged or corrupt (pcap: File has
4294901760-byte packet, bigger than maximum of 65535)

which is odd considering I didn't ask it to save anything and just
stop the capture, leaving what it's captured in the buffer to be
trashed when I quit out of wireshark.  Someone on the wireshark
mailing list thinks that it could be due to changes in zlib 1.2.4
that wasn't there in zlib 1.2.3.  As such, I'm trying to uninstall
zlib 1.2.4 and recompile wireshark 1.2.6 with version 1.2.3 of the
zlib package just to see if he's right.

The details are as follows:

1.  Xcode 2.5 installed
2.  MacOS 10.4.11
3.  Dual 2GHz G5 tower

I unfortunately wiped the whole MacPorts tree to start afresh (i.e.,
I removed the entire /opt/local/* subtree) and I know for sure that
wireshark had no issues reading nor live capturing until I did so.
Duh.  Live and learn...
--
Reality Artisans, Inc.             #   Network Wrangling and Delousing
P.O. Box 565, Gracie Station       #   Apple Certified Consultant