Is there a way to get the previous version of any package?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 23 22:48:46 PDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 00:04, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

> I'm experiencing an issue with zlib where it won't read any previously saved files that a previous version of wireshark used to read without problems.  What is odd is that while the latest version of wireshark (1.2.6) compiles and runs fine under X11, it only reads the first couple of dozen packets of a live capture off the wire and then seems to stop capturing (the window doesn't continue to scroll upwards with fresh packets like it used to do).  Then when I explicitly stop the capture by clicking on the "Stop Capture" button, I get the following error:
>
> The capture file appears to be damaged or corrupt (pcap: File has 4294901760-byte packet, bigger than maximum of 65535)
>
> which is odd considering I didn't ask it to save anything and just stop the capture, leaving what it's captured in the buffer to be trashed when I quit out of wireshark.  Someone on the wireshark mailing list thinks that it could be due to changes in zlib 1.2.4 that wasn't there in zlib 1.2.3.  As such, I'm trying to uninstall zlib 1.2.4 and recompile wireshark 1.2.6 with version 1.2.3 of the zlib package just to see if he's right.
>
> The details are as follows:
>
> 1.  Xcode 2.5 installed
> 2.  MacOS 10.4.11
> 3.  Dual 2GHz G5 tower
>
> I unfortunately wiped the whole MacPorts tree to start afresh (i.e., I removed the entire /opt/local/* subtree) and I know for sure that wireshark had no issues reading nor live capturing until I did so.  Duh.  Live and learn...

I experienced the same wireshark problem today (on Snow Leopard), and learned that zlib 1.2.4 was the problem from your thread on the wireshark list:

http://seclists.org/wireshark/2010/Mar/440

Yes, you can go back to zlib 1.2.3; doing so fixed the problem for me. Just follow the instructions in the how-to:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort