Installing outside of /opt

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 24 14:46:50 PDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 15:53, LuKreme wrote:
> On 24-Mar-2010, at 12:55, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> You are talking about the slrn and uudeview ports in MacPorts, or about building these from source by hand? If the former, file bugs if they don't work. If the latter, why not use the ports?
>
> The port for slrn is years out of date,

Ok, let's update the port then. I see we have a ticket filed for this already:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18463

Since it's been (significantly) more than 72 hours and the maintainer has not responded, anyone can update the port. I'll give it a try in a moment.

> so I am building it from source. I wanted to build against the uudeview that was already installed. The port maintainer for slrn has not responded (I've been told) to emails about updating slrn in the ports tree.

If the maintainer is perpetually absent, the port can be declared abandoned. See the guide for our port abandonment procedure.

>> To build software manually against dependencies already installed by MacPorts, you may have to set CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and LDFLAGS like MacPorts does (see all the variables MacPorts sets in the configure phase by using debug output: sudo port -d configure someport). Or, you can try C_INCLUDE_PATH and LIBRARY_PATH instead.
>
> I build slrn originally with
>
> ./configure  --with-ssl=/opt/local --with-slang=/opt/local
>
> Which worked. However I realised later that this built it without uudeview, so I tried to rebuild it with:
>
> ./configure  --with-ssl=/opt/local --with-slang=/opt/local --with-uudeview=/opt/local
>
> but that does not work

Try exporting the following environment variables:

export CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
export LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib