Gramps version 3.2.0 for Mac OS X

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 28 22:17:50 PDT 2010

On Mar 28, 2010, at 12:10, Tim Lyons wrote:

> I have now created the MacPorts Portfile for Gramps 3.2.0, and have asked for this to be uploaded to MacPorts.

I've updated it.

> There were a few problems that have now been fixed in MacPorts. The remaining issues are:
>
> (1) If you had a previous installation of Gramps, you have to rename/move aside /Applications/MacPorts when you do a fresh install.

Why was this necessary? At most, you should have to "sudo port deactivate gramps" to move the old one aside, then "sudo port install gramps" to install the new one; I would never expect the user to need to manually fiddle with anything in /Applications/MacPorts. Ideally, deactivating the old version would not be necessary either, but I did not test upgrading.

> (2) MacPorts ticket 24127 (http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24127), libproxy 0.4.0 build failure - I loaded the portfile for 0.3.0 which worked OK.

I fixed this.

> (4) The spelling checker is not installed because there is no MacPort of the python bindings to gtkspell, this results in the warning: "14484: WARNING: Spell.py: line 66: Spelling checker is not installed".

I'm not familiar with gramps, but a quick check (new family history, new person, notes field) showed on-the-fly spell checking working already, on Snow Leopard. This is after upgrading gramps to use python 2.6. With python 2.5 I was seeing that warning too; with 2.6 not anymore, so maybe using 2.6 has somehow automatically fixed this. (Or maybe I've got some py26 module installed that's helping here.)

> (5) A warning message is produced: "Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"." According to the MacPorts FAQ (http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#randr) "It's harmless and you should ignore it".

Correct. Many X11 programs on Mac OS X will produce this harmless message. RANDR is never available on Mac OS X.