Computer locks up during "port install" process

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 29 19:37:49 PDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 20:11, Murdachaew, Garold wrote:

> Now I am trying to install openmpi.  However, the computer locks up (for over an hour, until I did a hard reboot) at the point of attempting to install a supposedly needed dependency, a new gcc:
>
> $ sudo port install openmpi
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for openmpi
> --->  Staging gcc43 into destroot

Define "locks up". If you really mean locks up, i.e. you cannot switch to any applications and the menubar clock is frozen and so forth, then yes that is a problem. I assume however that you mean MacPorts did not advance beyond "Staging gcc43 into destroot" though the terminal itself and other programs were still responsive. In that case, just wait. gcc43 is a big port and it should eventually complete after a couple hours (though most of the time should be spent in the "Building" phase, not the "Staging" phase).

> Is it trying to re-compile the kernel with gcc43?

No; it's trying to compile and install gcc43, for use by other ports such as openmpi.

> I already have a working version of gcc (granted, an older version):
>
> $ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: i686-apple-darwin9
> Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5490~1/src/configure --disable-checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=i686-apple-darwin9 --with-arch=apple --with-tune=generic --host=i686-apple-darwin9 --target=i686-apple-darwin9
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)
>
> Is there a way to have openmpi use this system version of gcc?

No. It's not actually gcc's C compiler it needs, but the Fortran compiler; Apple does not provide any Fortran compiler with Xcode, hence the need to depend on a MacPorts gcc port (which includes gfortran).

> (and the g95 already installed by macports)?

"port variants openmpi" shows that it has a g95 variant that you could use if you want that instead of gcc43's gfortran. But since it's not the default option, it's less well tested and you might encounter problems.