editing gnuplot initialization file

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Mar 31 20:34:20 PDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Zachary Cordero wrote:

> I'm a new to unix so sorry for the trivial question but I just used macport to install gnuplot and I'd like to edit the gnuplot initialization file.  Where can I find it on my comp?  I'm using Mac OS 10.5.

Anything that MacPorts installed can be located with `port contents portname` on the command line.  In your case, it would be `port contents gnuplot` I believe.  That will list every file that MacPorts installed for that particular portfile.  Substitute any port name you desire, as long as the port has been installed.

If at install time gnuplot printed messages, perhaps explaining about the location of a config file, you can sometimes get to see them again with `port notes portname`.  I just looked, and gnuplot does not have notes added to it yet.

Looking at the portfile, it does appear that some files are in:
    /opt/local/share/doc/gnuplot
and a pdf that may answer your questions at:
    /opt/local/share/doc/gnuplot/gnuplot.pd

There is probably a README file or other instructions as well.

Of course, there are also non ports based commands, like `locate` and `find`.  If you know the name of the file you are looking for, a `sudo find /opt/local -name "the-filename-pattern"` where "the-filename-pattern" can be a regular expression, so to find all ini files, it would be "*.ini" or just look for the exact filename "gnuplot.ini" ( `sudo find /opt/local -name "gnuplot.ini"` )

I hope that helps.  I have never installed gnuplot, so a lot of this is general application of MacPorts and other shell commands to your scenario.