editing gnuplot initialization file

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 31 20:40:14 PDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 22:34, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Zachary Cordero wrote:
>
>> I'm a new to unix so sorry for the trivial question but I just used macport to install gnuplot and I'd like to edit the gnuplot initialization file.  Where can I find it on my comp?  I'm using Mac OS 10.5.
>
> Anything that MacPorts installed can be located with `port contents portname` on the command line.  In your case, it would be `port contents gnuplot` I believe.  That will list every file that MacPorts installed for that particular portfile.  Substitute any port name you desire, as long as the port has been installed.

True, but any file the user is expected to edit, such as a configuration file, should not show up in "port contents". (If it does, it is a bug in the port.) Sample configuration files, however, if there are any, would show up.

> If you know the name of the file you are looking for, a `sudo find /opt/local -name "the-filename-pattern"` where "the-filename-pattern" can be a regular expression, so to find all ini files, it would be "*.ini" or just look for the exact filename "gnuplot.ini" ( `sudo find /opt/local -name "gnuplot.ini"` )

Actually, "find" takes a glob pattern; regular expression syntax is different from glob syntax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob_(programming)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression