editing gnuplot initialization file

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Mar 31 21:12:09 PDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:40 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2010, at 22:34, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Zachary Cordero wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a new to unix so sorry for the trivial question but I just used macport to install gnuplot and I'd like to edit the gnuplot initialization file.  Where can I find it on my comp?  I'm using Mac OS 10.5.
>>
>> Anything that MacPorts installed can be located with `port contents portname` on the command line.  In your case, it would be `port contents gnuplot` I believe.  That will list every file that MacPorts installed for that particular portfile.  Substitute any port name you desire, as long as the port has been installed.
>
> True, but any file the user is expected to edit, such as a configuration file, should not show up in "port contents". (If it does, it is a bug in the port.) Sample configuration files, however, if there are any, would show up.

Interesting, thank you for the clarification.

>> If you know the name of the file you are looking for, a `sudo find /opt/local -name "the-filename-pattern"` where "the-filename-pattern" can be a regular expression, so to find all ini files, it would be "*.ini" or just look for the exact filename "gnuplot.ini" ( `sudo find /opt/local -name "gnuplot.ini"` )
>
> Actually, "find" takes a glob pattern; regular expression syntax is different from glob syntax.

Well, that is just plain weird, I never knew that.  I have always fed it regular expressions, the only thing that I ever really picked up on being different was the case insensitive aspect, which I liked.  I was pretty sure there would be a way to over-ride the case-i aspects anyway.

But I have fed it the usual ^abc and other basic expressions, and they always seemed to work.  I guess since dealing with file names is rather simple, I never thought they were glob patterns.

Then again, just today, I should have looked into it, as as basic OR regex was not working, and I had to pile up a bunch of -name commands.

Thanks for pointing that out, I wonder how many files I have passed to xargs, or not passed to xargs, thinking I was using a full blown parser.