Re: GMP and MPFR fails

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 4 19:02:19 PDT 2010

On May 4, 2010, at 15:17, Vincent DIEMUNSCH wrote:

> The tests seem to pass. For instance for MPFR :
> DEBUG: No need to upgrade! gmp 5.0.1_0 >= gmp 5.0.1_0
> --->  Computing dependencies for mpfr
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: gmp
> DEBUG: Found Dependency: receipt exists for gmp
> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.main (mpfr)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (mpfr)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.checksum (mpfr)
> DEBUG: setting option extract.cmd to /usr/bin/bzip2
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.extract (mpfr)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.patch (mpfr)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.configure (mpfr)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.build (mpfr)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.test (mpfr)

It looks like didn't try to run the tests (it skipped them). Clean the port then try again:

sudo port clean mpfr
sudo port -d test mpfr

> Then I tried to update the libgmp and libmpfr files in XCode's
> "Link Binary With Library" and I find odd things :
> - when I link with the ".a" it doesn't work properly
> - when I link with the ".dylib" IT IS OK but in 2 different projects
> I have two different names : libmpfr.dylib and libmpfr.1.dylib and
> I do not manage to find both in the finder...

"port contents mpfr" on my system does show both libmpfr.dylib and libmpfr.1.dylib. The one is a symlink to the other, so they are the same library. This is normal; most libraries are installed this way.

> What should I use ? ".a", ".dylib" ?

Usually you would use dynamic libraries (.dylib) on Mac OS X. Static libraries (.a) can be useful in some select situations.

> Do I need to delete and add new links in XCode each time I update
> the lib in MacPorts ?

Sorry, I don't know much about how to use Xcode.