uninstall help please

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Tue May 11 23:27:21 PDT 2010

Dear Ryan,

	The environment has been scrubbed along with the /opt/local tree. I'm
using a GNU gcc-4.5.0 bootstrapped using the Xcode compiler. It was
compiled after I removed all trace of /opt/local. There are two places
where libintl resides on this box; /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib. Why the
compiler is looking in /opt/local/lib, and why it is not seeing the ones
that do exist...I'm at sea about that.

	I am now unable to reproduce the error. I used a different configure
command, 'configure --disable-asm --disable-libtool-lock.' That 'solved'
both the early asm fail problem and the library fail problem.

	Argh! I can no more explain that than a hole in the ground. Its not the
first time. I've had problems with both libintl and libiconv being
looked for in /opt/local/lib. I gave up those compiles because I don't
know how to trace that problem.

On 5/11/10 10:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 11, 2010, at 22:42, John B Brown wrote:
>
>> 	After following my own advice and the directions, I find I have a serious problem. In compiling programs that use libintl, the linker looks for libintl in /opt/local/lib and there is no such tree on my system. After the uninstall process I wiped that entire /opt/local tree.
>>
>> 	How do I correct my system so the compiler no longer looks for anything under /opt/local?
>

> Did you start trying to build this software when you had MacPorts installed? If so, it could be remembering those paths that it found back then. Try "make clean" to clear out that knowledge, then ./configure again.

	I downloaded and unpacked the files today. All trace of /opt/local has
been scrubbed from my environment variables.

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/opt/X11/lib:/opt/schily/lib:/usr/lib

	 and

> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/opt/X11/lib:/opt/schily/lib:/usr/lib

	and

> PATH=/Users/jbb/bin:/opt/schily/bin:/opt/schily/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/universal-darwin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/etc:/usr/local/etc:/usr/etc:/home/jbb/bin/ORIG/.../F1/A:.

> If that's not it, please show us the command you used to try to compile your program and the output you got.Some environment variables that would cause it to look there would
include CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS containing -I/opt/local/include, LDFLAGS
containing -L/opt/local/lib, C_INCLUDE_PATH containing
/opt/local/include, or LIBRARY_PATH containing /opt/local/lib. Perhaps
you have some of those set in your environment. But even if you did,
that should just influence where software searches for things, and if
there's nothing there, then it wouldn't find or attempt to use it there.

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain